Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Physics Homework

I am sure most of the people who actually read my blogs where scared away by the title of this post.


I am not requesting help, or tuturing, but I thought I would share with you my easy, yet time consuming (not sure why ;), lol), online homework.


Problem 1:
Write a short description of the motion of a real object for which the figure would be a realistic position-versus-time graph.


My Answer:
A man walks 300 meters in 300 seconds, takes a break to drink some well-needed water, which takes 100 seconds, and then walks back to where he started, but since he is now hydrated, he is able to walk to full distance back in only 200 seconds. 1 point for team water!










Problem 2:

Write a short description of the motion of a real object for which the figure would be a realistic position-versus-time 
graph. 
Alright, so this is where I started to get bored, and a little annoyed by my teacher. So, I decided I would write an interesting story to brighten her day. (I thought it would be best to ignore the part in the instructions about writing a "short description". This is what I wrote:

A student who attends Mesa Community college is ready to leave from home, which is in Sun City. He tells his friend at MCC that he is on his way, so while his friend is bored, he decided to make a motion diagram for the trip his friend is about to take. The student begins his trip by going and getting in his car. To his dismay, it won't start, so he pops the hood, and realizes the carburetor isn't working properly, so he starts to fix it. Luckily, he is a mechanic, so it only takes him an hour before he is on the road. Unfortunately, he can't go straight to school from there, because he has promised his girl friend that he'll pick her up in gilbert, before going to school. After an hour driving from Sun City, he arrives at her house, but they get "distracted" for another hour, before heading back in the direction of school. They decide that it would be more of an adventure if they ride their bikes to school, so it takes them 2 hours to travel the 20 miles back to the campus. They both arrive at campus safely, where he is able to tell his friend about his entire adventure, so he could make a motion diagram about the whole thing for his physics class. Hopefully his teacher enjoys it. :) 


So, you do think my teacher is annoyed yet? I hope not, we're just getting started!

Problem 3:
Write a short description of a real object for which the figure would be a realistic position-versus-time graph.

I actually wasn't planning on being to original, or too descriptive here, but toward the end, I got bored... as you will see:

A jogger is walking past your house at a steady rate of 1 m/s. after 10 seconds, your dog sees this jogger, and chases after them. Because of the fear of being eaten, the jogger sprints until the dog hits the invisible electric fence, in which it is bound, after a distance of 30 meters. the dog stops, and so does the jogger, who yells at you for 20 seconds, telling you that you should have told him the dog couldn't eat him, because of this invisible border, but after these 20 seconds, you get sick of him complaining, so you turn off the fence, and the dog reacts instantly, and eats the jogger, making him disappear off the face of the earth, and off the particle diagram. (I hope the gore doesn't dock points. If you need to give extra credit based on originality, you have my permission to do so.)

Problem 3:
Write a short description of a real object for which the figure would be a realistic position-versus-time graph.

You tell a person standing 30 yards away to bring you your physics book. It takes him 4 seconds to understand what physics is, and if you need the textbook or the workbook, before he starts toward you with the textbook. He walks halfway towards you, which takes 4 seconds, but then he gets confused from all this math and physics, so he stands puzzled for 8 seconds, where you tell him to close the physics book (this is a good reason why to not try and read a physics book and walk at the same time) and come to you, and he does, which takes him another 4 seconds. If only he had not been confused by physics, the entire distance would have only taken 8 seconds.

These are all the open-answer questions, and I hope the moral of all these stories is to never, ever, ask Engineering Majors to write essays. We know how to do calculus, computer programming, build stuff, and physics... NOT write essays!

I hope you had as much fun as I did today. I will see you all soon. If anyone can come up with better answers to these questions, you win a prize.

Lots of Love! (not to be confused with LOL)

-Nate =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me whatcha think