Saturday, July 3, 2010

3 = 4

Here in Kanab, Utah, whenever Independence Day falls on a Sunday, it is celebrated on Saturday.
So first, we went to the parade, on main street. Here are a few pictures.
Oh, I almost forgot. We met a lovely brother and sister from Chicago who were travelling through Kanab for the day. She was moving to Las Vegas, and he was on the Police force back in Chicago, just coming to help his sister move. He gave myself, and my two brothers, CPD hats. (as seen on my head below)

I got hosed down by the firetruck.
I usually don't opt in for that part of the parade, but it was warm hot outside.


We also saw our friend, the manicop, who is a famous dummy who sits in a parked police car to slow down traffic. This time, he was driving through the parade. The officer in the passenger seat is one brave man. (My brothers were baffled at how the dummy was driving)

We also went to the public pool, which was pretty fun. There was a lazy river, which after glorious hours of my brothers begging me to come in with them and ride in the river, I decided to be a good older brother, and I joined them. It wasn't too bad. Maybe I'll buy one for myself.

Then, we went to the park for a barbecue and to watch the fireworks. While we waited for the fireworks, we had some live "entertainment". Unfortunately, we were only entertained by the second act, which only lasted about 15 minutes (The whole show was 3 hours).

We had good seats though. :) A little too good.
(Grandma and Grandpa are now 100% deaf)

No, I did not take pictures of the fireworks. I don't believe in photographing fireworks. Photographs are for art and preserving memories. If its not art, what would you say when you are reminiscing about that night.
"Remember that burst? We all said Ooooh."
"Oh, and look at this one, I loved that one. We all went Aaaaah."
I love watching fireworks. Live. In Person. Real-Time.

I have a few more pictures, but I left my cable upstairs. I'll try to get some uploaded onto this post tomorrow.

I want to end by saying how grateful I am to have the freedom I do. We all have free agency. I am working on teaching Jake and Archie something important this trip. (It's kind of working...) It's ALWAYS our choice to be happy OR sad. Nobody else matters in that decision, however, our happiness or sadness, can affect others happiness. I learned years ago that when I'm happy, my mother is happy. And she always makes me happy, especially when she is happy. Thanks Mom, I love you. Thank you America, I love you too.

P.S. Typing my last sentence, I was reminded of this. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me whatcha think